Arcade Prehacks

Make computer run faster!

PC only and this is the XP way (maybe vista way too? Hm?)
    Will make a change only in older computer and probably no change at all in new computers!
    Some memory will be needed and you can use a portable device with memory in it!
    Should also be VERY similar to vista. So if you understand this you should also understand how to do it on vista!
    1. Open the menu where you mainly open your things from. It should be in the bottom left hand corner.
    2. Right click "My Computer".
    3. Click on properties.
    4. When it open it may be in general. click on the last bottom one on the right called "Advanced".
    5. Click on the first settings which is "Performance Visual effects, processor scheduling, memory usage and virtual memory"
    6. Click on "Advanced" again which is in the middle of "Visual Effects" and "Data Execution Prevention".
    7. The bottom one you see will say "Virtual memory" which uses hard drive memory as ram! Click on change.
    8. Click on the device you want to give Memory from to ram!
    9. Make sure that it is on Custom size and then where it says "Initial size (MB):" and "Maximum size (MB):" there should be two boxes next to them and put in how much memory you want to use I think that they have to be the same so like 2000 and 2000 or something! (You can do the same with more than one device!) (Keep it lower than 5000 at the maximum)
    10 . Click Ok and Ok again or Apply and it should tell you to restart!
    If you have a old computer this should improve performance!

Re: Make computer run faster!

impossible for me... look:

click here!

Quote Originally Posted by wolnavi
    impossible for me... look:

click here!
    What the fudge?

what do you mean 0.o

Uh... Uncheck automatically manage...?

Quote Originally Posted by Magicman
    Uh... Uncheck automatically manage...?
    0.o thanks a lot!

Hi, i'd like to add something to your tutorial.
    The recommended dimension for file paging is 1.5 of your actual RAM, but if you have an old old PC with less ram than the requested space by your operative system using the virtual memory does makes it run slower, so take this in count (but i think nobody as so low RAM in these years, let's say 0.05% of the population).
    It's better if you divide the swap file in different hard disks and best if you do not use the HD of your operating system, best of the best if you use an empty HD, because the file will be put at the start of it, making it faster to be selected.
    Now as you said, the file should have the same minimum and maximum dimensions, so windows doesn't have to recalculate it during sessions if it's required a bigger virtual memory space at some point of your works.

Having done this, NOW IT'S HIGLY RECOMMENDED to defragment your HD, because it's important that the swap space is... well... defragmented. But you don't have to do it with normal windows tool, because it doesn't do the job for the files at the base of the registry nor for the pagefile.sys wich is actually your swap file, unless you set some things restart windows and defrag from safe mode. So without going deep into this, you can use a tool like PageDefrag wich does it well.
    Now you are set. ^_^
    Last edited by MagoMerlino; 04-16-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagoMerlino View Post
    (but i think nobody as so low RAM in these years, let's say 0.05% of the population).
    I have and still use (through not on the internet) a Swan 386 that still is running windows '95. I use it for the older games like the original Command and Conquer. And up until 2 years ago I had the grand daddy of them all. A Commodore Vic 20 still working. Sad to say that I was moving some tools and dropped a cirular saw on it.

Well, so don't use the file paging