Arcade Prehacks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scorebored

Exclamation Scoreboard

Hey my suggestion is that when you submit a hack, post a thread, rate a game, comment on a game, etc., that you will earn "Hack Points" or "HP" or something like that. The "HP" that you earn doesnt really do anything except give you bragging rights. Basicly its just a scorebored that can show the top 10 or 20 players (the top players are determined by how many points they have) on the front page around the "Top Rated Games" list. So if you make a good hack it could be 30 HP, while rating or commenting a game could be 2 or 3 (you could decide the values). So for example, selectLOL would have A LOT of "HP" due to the excessive amounts of hacks submitted. While someone like me probably would have a much lower amount due to only commenting, rating, etc. Obviously you can add on to that but I really hope you consider this idea. If theres any questions please feel free to pm me (or if you can pm me to tell me that you are considering that would be greatly appreciated!!!).

Sincerely,
    [COLOR=#0000cd]ExpoundParadox[/COLOR]
    Last edited by ExpoundParadox; 07-18-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it's a good one. No promises but it is something we will consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Xnite View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think it's a good one. No promises but it is something we will consider.
    Thanks for considering!

I agree. This sounds quite good. Maybe something to do with the HP would be cool as well, to encourage people to make better hacks.
    One thing we should be aware of is the fact that when you gain HP by commenting, the amount of spam will probably increase.
    I've been here before.

How about you can only post 5 comments that will give you HP, after that you can still post comments, but not get any HP.

That'll make the scoreboard function nearly useless after posting 5 comments.
    I've been here before.

Well maybe it can be limited per day somehow. Regardless, I actually remember Greeny telling me there was a system like this in place when he first set up the site. But he had to remove it because it promoted spam. So obviously a lot of thought would have to be put into making this system in a way that does not encourage spam. Which in the end might handicap the system so much that it becomes not worth it. This is all stuff we will have to think about if we ever try to implement something like this.

We already have something for the posts you make here on the forums.

<------ Post Counts

Everytime you post something it goes up, but when you have that post deleted it goes down.

Problem with extending it to the APH is the spammer's in the comment section. Go to some of the more popular games and scroll through the comments and you will see what we mean.

And you could also get HP if your active on the forums (this will encourage people to use the forums more thus giving more oppurtunities for a busy forum/ good threads)

First of all, you spelled your post title wrong (sorry, senior redditor here, so I can't help it).

Secondly, it's a nice idea, although it can do with some comprehensive tuning.

I'd like to address two major points:

1. The point system is somewhat unoriginal. Large flash sites such as Kongregate (powered by GameStop) use this. Although it is a good way to show user activity, points are kind of uncreative, bland, and trite as a form of tracking progress. Why not track the amount of positive contribution instead of simply user activity? Somewhat like karma/reputation (or upvote/downvote on reddit), except it extends over from the forums onto games? Here's how I envisage the system would work. Hack Points can be given to users by other users (as opposed to an automated system like on Kong so we know that this user is actually respected by the other users of the board) in terms of respect for a comment on a game or a forum post; they can be earned by a hacker getting high ratings from users on their respective hack. Hack Points can decrease as well, when comments or posts are essentially pointless and stupid, unconstructive "spam" are posted by a user.
    2. Karma/rep based Hack Points should not count games hacked. A hacker could hack all of the games in the "Bob the Button" series with crappy changes and still receive the same amount of Hack Points as selectLOL. Also, it isn't that hard to make a game in Stencyl and hack it (I am suggesting that Hack Points are able to be farmed, and though most users won't, some still will). This is why Hack Points should only be derived from the positive ratings and taken away from negative ratings on each hacker's respective hacks.

And to conclude, I'd like to make a "brief" synopsis.

Server-given points for actions done is somewhat unoriginal, so why not let the users decide who's hot and who's not? By letting users award other user Hack Points for good hacking (positive ratings on hacks), good comments (positive ratings on comments), and witty posts on the forum (somewhat like the ubiquitous rep/karma system we see), we can see who the users respect and give points to, not some server automated system giving points. Consequently, this system can also apply negatively, with players affecting another user's reputation if the user makes stupid, no-brainer, pieces of facking merde comments, posts, or hacks.

My suggestion, take it from an oldie. Simplicity is usually the most effective and worthy of methods. Keep it plain and simple, yet effective from exploits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast