Arcade Prehacks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Philosophy

Philosophy

After much deliberation and quesitoning (thanks ffemt53), I have decided to start a thread on philosophy. This thread will have a new philosophical question posted every week, and each week, hopefully, there will be a number of different repelies from posters who are as interested in philosophy as I am. If you would like to submit a question to be answered, PM me, or tell me in your posts but ONLY if that posts contains your opinion on the question of the week.

If I offend anyone with anything I say or do, please remember that it was purely accidental and that the purpose of this thread is to gain opinions on philosophical matters.

Now, without further ado, the first question of the week.

[COLOR=#0000FF]Why are all questions of the universe virtually undecidable?

[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Hoping for answers,

~Blujay
    [/COLOR]

They are undecideable because too many opinions are put into it or sometimes too much thought can be used. Proof is also always a big factor in all this making the universe an even more interesting and complicated thing. Like "are aliens real/existing". Too many opinions are put in (not always a bad thing) these can effect what others say. Too much thought could make you believe that they are or arent real for the universe is too big for us to think we are the only ones here. Proof is probably the number one decision maker. We never have seen it in the real world (or some people say they have but you wont believe unless you see with your own eyes). With all these combined its just to big a mess to know for "reals".

Blujay, wasn't this the question you asked me in our convo?

Also, Expound, your explanation is somewhat correct.

All answers that are decidable have been decided. Though it make take however much time to find the true answer, the answer will be or will have been found. For example, it took 200 years until Fermat's theorem was proven by Andrew Wiles. All answers come with time, deep reflection.

However, answers must be more viable and must be tethered to a generalization for it to be superior to other answers to the same question. Therefore, a decidable answer regarding the universe itself is impossible as the answer would have to be generalized to something larger than of existence. Ergo, such answers to such undeciable questions will not be the true answer, and there never will be one until our understanding of the universe changes or improves.

Quote Originally Posted by blujay98 View Post
    [COLOR=#0000FF]Why are all questions of the universe virtually undecidable?[/COLOR]
    Just because humanity does not have all the answers, and probably never will, does not mean there is no answer. That is like saying all questions about a car engine are undecidable just because i am not a mechanic. In the borders of what we can observe we already got answers to questions. So i don't see that they're undecidable at all.

It's a deep subject, but I'll keep my answer brief.

It comes down to the question of knowledge. Can we actually say we truly know anything. Is there any such thing as a fact, something we know 100% to be truth. The answer, I believe, is no. Our knowledge comes from our senses, and we all know how easily our senses can be fooled. For instance, how do you know this thing you perceive as reality is not a dream, and that one day you will wake in a vastly different reality where everything you once thought to be fact, is fiction.

That is why all questions of the universe are virtually undecidable. Come to think of it, that could be the only one truth in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by POWERMAN View Post
    Blujay, wasn't this the question you asked me in our convo?

All answers that are decidable have been decided. Though it make take however much time to find the true answer, the answer will be or will have been found.
    Yeah, it was, I just decided to use it here because I was kinda lazy at the time and I made this thread right after I sent you that PM...

As to my opinion to this question, (and I think someone already mentioned this), I believe that the reason all questions about the universe is virtually undecidable is because we, as people, can't answer it with out current knowledge. Quite basically, we're too uneducated. As POWERMAN mentioned,
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERMAN View Post
    All answers that are decidable have been decided. Though it make take however much time to find the true answer, the answer will be or will have been found.
    If we are supposed to find an answer, then one day, we will be educated enough to understand the universe.

That's my opinion, although please do keep posting (if you are also intrigued to this thread) as I am finding this an interesting read.

Also, if anyone would like me to post a new topic (remember, you can post a question too) then tell me, and I would be happy to oblige.
    Last edited by blujay98; 07-26-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blujay98 View Post
    As POWERMAN mentioned, If we are supposed to find an answer, then one day, we will be educated enough to understand the universe.
    Not necessarily. How do you know that there is an answer to the undecidable questions to the universe present to humanity?

What I stated was simply a fact. No need for you to twist things around. I stated that with all decidable questions, there is an answer with time. Whether there are definite answers to even the undecidable questions to the universe or not are not for you or us to decide. We can only find out with time, and probably billions of our taxpayer's money on a government-based research project.

What I am saying is that we are NOT supposed to find an answer, or at least we are supposed to remain neutral about the discovery of new knowledge of the universe. There is no definite way for us to forsee the future and know that we will find an answer.

You are getting ahead of yourself, my boy. *huffs with a pipe* If you need anymore explanation, I would be happy to elaborate.

So with one week over and a better than expected outcome of answers for the first question of the week, I now post my second question.

What does it mean to be successful? How would you define it and why?

Also, thanks to POWERMAN in his continued support in me on my journey through philosophy.

On another note, I meant to make this post yesterday but my internet is rather unreliable at the current time...

suc•cess•ful /səkˈsesfəl/
    Accomplishing an aim or purpose
    Having achieved popularity, profit, or distinction

There’s the definition of successful and to a lot of people it means many different things but to me, I’m successful because I have a loving wife and two wonderful children that are happy and healthy, and that’s all that matters to me.

The following text is not written by me, but that's the best, that describes my own thoughts, which i have since many years. And i'm trying already to build this into my own life.

“He is able who thinks he is able.” ~Buddha

How would you answer the question: “Are you successful in life?”

I know many people who would say that they are not successful; at least they have not reached success in the areas that feel important to them. I have been one of those people.

One day I asked myself “What keeps me from being successful?” It took me a while to come up with the answer but I realized that I was holding myself back.

Why? Well, maybe I was afraid that when I started something I would fail. Maybe I was afraid that I was not “one of those people” who get everything they go after. Maybe I felt that I didn’t deserve success in life.

The truth is that I didn’t believe that I was able. I was not able to be successful, able to be happy, or able to fully enjoy my life. Does this scenario sound familiar to you?

If you want to be truly successful in life (and who doesn’t?) then first of all you have to learn to believe in yourself. If you do not think that you can be successful, then who will?

Life success does not mean that you will not fail but it means that your mistakes will teach you something and show you a better way to get what you want.

These are the tips that have helped me get over the fear of being successful and finally believe in myself:

1. Be positive.

Negative thoughts are like MiracleGrow for fear and self-doubt. Stay away from negative people and you will decrease the amount of negativity in your life at least by half.

Practice daily gratitude, write down all the positive events in your life, practice mindfulness and you will notice how your negative attitude will start melting away.

2. Continually remind yourself that you are part of something larger than you.

Fear often has to do with worrying about uncertainty, feeling out of control, and wondering what your life’s purpose is. When you realize you are part of a bigger picture, even if you don’t fully understand what that is, it’s easier to ascertain that you both deserve and need to be successful and happy.

You do the right things, you help people around you, you make being a good person a priority, and you know that this isn’t just about you—it’s also about the bigger picture that you’re part of. These thoughts always give me the courage to try something new and believe that my life is successful because of the doing, not the outcome.

3. Take time to find your authenticity.

Do you have a lot on you? I’m sure you do, and I know that you are doing your best at doing what you have to do. But do you know who you are? Do you know what makes you happy? Do you know your passions?

Do you take time to reflect on your life and figure out your purpose in this world? Unfortunately, most of us get so caught up in responsibilities and goals that we forget to enjoy our lives.

No matter how busy you are, you must make time for yourself. It can be just 10 minutes a day, but this time must belong to you. If you give yourself the luxury of free time then you will notice that the rest of your responsibilities will get easier.

You will be a better parent. You will be able to come up with creative ideas at work (and finally get that promotion.) You will be able to take better care of your health. You will reduce your stress and experience the joy of living.

4. Create your success library.

Sometimes when we lose trust in ourselves we just need a little bit of inspiration to push us in the right direction. There are plenty of ways to find inspiration, but we forget about them when we need them the most.

Create a library of quotes, save articles and success stories that have inspired you, create a library of inspiring movies and videos, or create an album of your fun and happy memories. Turn to this library whenever you have self doubts.

5. Learn.

People are always scared of what they don’t know. My first job was in a web development company. I was scared to death during my first day at work because I didn’t know anything about web and blogs and the words CSS and PHP seemed like medical terms for lethal diseases. I was forced to learn about everything and now I feel absolutely at ease online.

If you have a fear of something you just have to educate yourself about it. It is like walking into a dark room. At first you feel scared and don’t know what to expect but once you turn the light on, everything gets clear and simple.

6. Live in balance.

No matter how important success might seem to you, it is still important to follow it with balance; otherwise your journey towards success will turn into an obsession that will ruin everything that you truly love in life.

Success is not a destination. It’s a journey, and it’s important that we take each step feeling grounded and balanced. Spend time with your loved ones, enjoy your hobby or follow your passion, take care of your health and grow spiritually. This is the meaning of true success, the one that you can achieve only in balance.

I think that you are able to be successful. It is your right and purpose in life to be successful in whatever you are doing. If you believe in that then nothing will ever stop you from living a balanced and joyous life.

The author of this article described exactly what my thoughts are, about being successful. I'm glad, that i found this one, because, these are exactly my words, so i spared my fingers some hurts. lol Also i'm glad, that there are more, who has the same way of thinking as me. :)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast