Arcade Prehacks

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Capitano's reviews

Nearing one thousand views! Holy cow!

Capitano's non-APH reviews: Mirror's Edge

A fresh new idea.

Story
    The story takes place in an unnamed city. There is no criminality in this city. No riots. No breaking the rules. Surveillance is everywhere. Nobody remembers the bad old days. But Faith does. Faith is a Runner, delivering shady packages, which are too dangerous for the local postman. When the major is murdered, and Faith's sister gets the blame, Faith has to step in...

Presentation
    The story is not the best. It's cliche, boring and uninspired. The visuals are colorful, and the moments, where you explore the city, the game can be quite beautiful. The indoor environments are repetitive. The cutscenes are animated and are nothing special. The voice acting is okay. The music is rather bad.

Gameplay
    The free-running gameplay is what separated Mirror's Edge from the other fps-fare on the market. The controls are easy to learn and use. Combat isn't necessary: you can go pretty much the hole game through without killing anyone. When you're forced, or you want to combat, however, it is rather unenjoyable. Fist-fighting seems floaty and its rather difficult to aim a gun. The enemy AI is also very stupid. Every enemy won't even try to stop you shotgunning them in the face. Mirror's Edge also tries too hard to be a FPS. There was someone shooting me 90% of the time, when the most enjoyable parts of Mirror's Edge is to feel like an awesome free-runner making her way through the rooftops. It would be nice to also have a few more parkour-moves. I lost count how many times I had to do the 180 degree wall-run-jump in my playtrough.

Final verdict
    Mirror' Edge has a lot of flaws. A unique idea and nice visuals aren't simply enough. 6.2/10.0
    Last edited by Capitano; 04-13-2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: forgot the final verdict.

Capitano's non-APH game reviews: Reach

Brought to us by the same man that made Wrestling Empire, M****ie, Reach is a boxing game. It's free to download and play, link will be included.

Presentation
    Using the same engine as Wrestling Empire, Reach looks cartoonish and unpolished. The sound isn't bad, but the crowd can get annoying. The music is horrible.

Gameplay
    If you're looking for an ultra-realistic boxing simulation, Reach isn't your thing. Just pointing that out. If random matches aren't your thing, you're going to play the Career mode a lot. In this mode you take your wannabe boxer and guide him through a career of boxing. The mode is okay, at least it gives you something to do. It's not perfect. It is repetitive and winning any sort of championship takes way too long. You see, the problem is, that there are only 3 types of matches: a normal match, ranked match and a tournament. The ranked matches are the only way to get the chance to win the title. But they seem to be rare, and you start from the absolute bottom. And that's assuming you don't lose matches. Lose, and the ranked matches become even more rare. There is also no way to control your boxer's weight. Your boxer's weight will increase eventually and you get sent to the Heavyweights. There isn't many match types, but it's boxing, so what did you expect? The fighting is also a bit rough around the edges. It works, but there is no reason to stop spamming the same punch over and over again. The AI is also annoyingly stupid, especially the referees. They get in your way constantly and there was multiple times I knocked the referee out and was forced to wait for him to get back up. There is an editor, like in many other M****ie games, but you have to unlock the rosters by winning their titles first. Gladly there's a cheat to unlock them instantly.

Final verdict
    Reach is built upon the same engine as Wrestling Empire, but simply isn't that good. It lacks the charm of Wrestling Empire has. 6.1/10.0

Download link: M****ie.com

Also, visit this thread: http://www.arcadeprehacks.com/forum/...of-other-ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
    Why does Spiderman get all the bad games?

Presentation
    Friend or Foe is plain ugly. The levels are uninspired, character models look awful and I have seen better special effects in that old Hulk-series. The voice acting is horrible and the music sounds tolerable AT BEST. Making matters worse, Spiderman has to say something stupid like "Oh look, moving punching bags" every five minutes. The game tries too hard to have humor.

Gameplay
    Friend or Foe's selling gimmick is to be able to control the wall-crawlers friends and enemies. Every character feels and controls the same, and some characters have moves that can be repeated infinitely. Other than that Friend or Foe is a mindlessly repetitive Beat-em up. The game is also easy beyond belief. If you have a friend, you can play co-op together. But why bother? I had a friend play this once and he was bored after 15 minutes. There is a player vs. player-mode, but that too turns into a button mashing race. I beat the game after 2-3 hours. What wasted time.

Final verdict
    Spiderman Friend or Foe is a bad, bad game. It's only for a die-hard Marvel-fan. 0/10.0

P.S: This game is also official movie merchandise. Wow.
    Obviously, Hollywood can't get a hold of good video game producers. Not even going to play it. I rate it a -999999
    Tmanzz122

Yes, last good movie game I played was Goldeneye 007 on the Nintendo 64. Nowadays movie games are just cheap cash-ins.

Capitano's game reviews: Minecraft

The game that needs no introduction.

Presentation
    To call Minecraft's graphics "good" graphics would be unfair. Minecraft doesn't look good in the normal use of the term. Some might say that the blocky visuals enhance Minecraft or add to the games charm. My opinion: Minecraft is not a game that needs to have Crysis-level visuals to be beautiful. On the other hand, Minecraft has excellent music. It's calming, slow and quiet. You can play Minecraft for a long time without even noticing the music. I still can't think Minecraft without it.

Gameplay
    Minecraft is about building. Building in this game is extremely satisfying. Every randomly generated world is an open canvas to paint anything on. One day you can be just surviving, collecting food and iron, next day venturing into caves, having epic adventures, going to the Nether, all the time claiming more and more land your own. Minecraft has no goal, it's all up to you. If having random, spontaneous adventures isn't what you enjoy, you probably won't and will not enjoy Minecraft. For all the charm and creativity Minecraft has, it also has a rather lengthy list of flaws as well. Incomplete game mechanics, such as enchanting and combat, litter Minecraf's blocky world, so do bugs, too. There is so many bugs it's crazy. And all of the times Minecraft has updated there is still many bugs. Tutorials are non-existant, you'll have to keep Minecraft Wiki open constantly. The random world generation does get Minecraft almost infinite replayability, it's also not without problems. I hate when I find a snow biome ranging hundreds of blocks.

Final verdict
    Is Minecraft overrated? Yes. Is Minecraft a good game? Yes. With all the mods, with all the billions of YouTube videos, with all the praise, with all the haters, Minecraft isn't going anywhere. Minecraft is not just a game any more. It has shaped gaming, it has spawned millions of copycat games. It has books released, it has millions of fans, plogposts, hole websites. It has shaped the Internet, it's made Mojang famous, it is considered one of the most influential games ever. While big game corporations spit out even an another version of CoD, Minecraft has basically started an new genre. Ask anyone from our generation, they know what Minecraft is. Even with a lot of flaws. Final score: 8.7/10.0

Capitano's APH game reviews: Wrestling Legends

And I thought Rise Of The Marshals was bad...

Presentation
    The name Wrestling Legends is a lie. There are no real-world wrestlers in the game, just a few super generic characters. For a Flash-game, the graphics are good, but there is no music at all and almost no sound effects. The wrestlers move like cripples.

Gameplay
    The controls are counter-intuitive and I noticed some delay with some movements. The AI is non-existent. There is only one match type and only one mode to play in. Wrestling Legends offers 5 minutes of gameplay at best, and you will be kicking yourself for that lost time.

Final verdict
    I know this review is rather short, but there not much to say about Wrestling Legends. With bad sound, awful controls, and a maximum of 5 minutes of gameplay Wrestling Legend sucks. Final score: 0.0/10.0
    Last edited by Capitano; 04-29-2014 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Forgot the final score, we can't have that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
    The game that needs no introduction.

Presentation
    To call Minecraft's graphics "good" graphics would be unfair. Minecraft doesn't look good in the normal use of the term. Some might say that the blocky visuals enhance Minecraft or add to the games charm. My opinion: Minecraft is not a game that needs to have Crysis-level visuals to be beautiful. On the other hand, Minecraft has excellent music. It's calming, slow and quiet. You can play Minecraft for a long time without even noticing the music. I still can't think Minecraft without it.

Gameplay
    Minecraft is about building. Building in this game is extremely satisfying. Every randomly generated world is an open canvas to paint anything on. One day you can be just surviving, collecting food and iron, next day venturing into caves, having epic adventures, going to the Nether, all the time claiming more and more land your own. Minecraft has no goal, it's all up to you. If having random, spontaneous adventures isn't what you enjoy, you probably won't and will not enjoy Minecraft. For all the charm and creativity Minecraft has, it also has a rather lengthy list of flaws as well. Incomplete game mechanics, such as enchanting and combat, litter Minecraf's blocky world, so do bugs, too. There is so many bugs it's crazy. And all of the times Minecraft has updated there is still many bugs. Tutorials are non-existant, you'll have to keep Minecraft Wiki open constantly. The random world generation does get Minecraft almost infinite replayability, it's also not without problems. I hate when I find a snow biome ranging hundreds of blocks.

Final verdict
    Is Minecraft overrated? Yes. Is Minecraft a good game? Yes. With all the mods, with all the billions of YouTube videos, with all the praise, with all the haters, Minecraft isn't going anywhere. Minecraft is not just a game any more. It has shaped gaming, it has spawned millions of copycat games. It has books released, it has millions of fans, plogposts, hole websites. It has shaped the Internet, it's made Mojang famous, it is considered one of the most influential games ever. While big game corporations spit out even an another version of CoD, Minecraft has basically started an new genre. Ask anyone from our generation, they know what Minecraft is. Even with a lot of flaws. Final score: 8.7/10.0
    #spontaneousadvenuremode

Top 10 things I hate in video games

If, you haven't noticed, I like video games. A lot, actually. Video games are a clever sort of art, having masterpieces and awful units scattered all over the gaming world. In all my years as a gamer, however, I've noticed some things I can't stand. So, I've gathered a list of the ten things in video games I hate the most. Please remember though, this is my personal list. Don't flood this thread with hate if you disagree. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

10: Difficulty spikes
    One of the aspects of a good game is a slow, but gradually increasing difficulty curve, that eases the player into the action. This makes the game more enjoyable to the player. But every once in a while there is a game that ignores this and throws a ridiculous vertical leap of difficulty in your path. Challenge is a good thing, but a difficulty spike is a big no-no for me.
    One of the most fond memories of a difficulty curve was in Battletoads for the Nes. The infamous Turbo Tunnels required pin-point accuracy to succeed. Needless to say, I was stuck for a while.

9. Franchises with yearly releases
    Examples: Any of the EA sports games and WWE games.
    I never really understood the need to have a new game every year. Why not give the game developers some time to actually add something to the game? Every year it is the same game released in a new package, with maybe some trivial things added in to make the game "new".
    Even more annoying is when they actually don't add anything.

8. Overshooting violence
    I haven't got much against video game violence, when it's kept reasonable. But when my entire screen is just a mess of blood and guts I draw the line. There's no reason that games should be overly violent. Make peace, not war.

7. High HP bosses
    You know when you come across one of these. It doesn't matter how much you mash the X-button, the boss just doesn't die. Then the fight just becomes boring and tedious.
    Tip for game developers: If you want to make a hard boss, make it actually hard. Don't just give it a truckload of health.

6. Stereotypical characters
    For some reason, a small, small part of me just hates stereotypical characters. You ca
    n't like or care a character that's so uninspired. A good example of this is Sport Champions.
    There's Dallas, the Texas cowboy with an epic hat.
    There's Tatupu, the weird Tarzan-type jungle dude.
    There's Connor, the tough-guy rugby player.
    There's Jackson, the generic basketball player.
    And many others...

5. FPS-games in general
    When I had a N64, I used to play the dust out of my copy of Goldeneye 007. It was awesome. It was adrenaline-pumping fun. Nowadays FPS-games are just been-there-done-that. You shoot. There's some bad guys. Shoot them. There are some civilians. Don't shoot them. That's pretty much FPS-games in a nutshell.

4. "Retro" graphics
    In the world of HD-consoles and powerful computers, many games are using pixelated graphics. Don't get me wrong, when pixelated graphics are done right, they can be quite beautiful. But calling your graphics retro isn't a excuse to make your game look ugly. Just saying. I know this applies mostly to indie developers, but they too should be making the full use of their hardware.

3. Handholding
    Most games respect what you, as a gamer, are capable of. Then again, some games treat you like an idiot and make sure you just don't happen to forget some essential information like:
    "Use R1 to shoot."
    "Enemies hurt you."
    "Dying is bad."
    "Don't forget to save!"
    Etc.

2.Knockoff games
    What do you do when you can't come up with something unique? Copy some other game of course! The problem with knockoff games is that, they are absolutely unnecessary. They are taking resources from creative game development and using it for a clone.
    Another Protip to game developers: Gamers aren't stupid. They can spot a knockoff from a mile away.

1. DLC- Downloadable content
    I despise downloadable content. Even if it's free. The game should be complete, it should not need DLC to be good! I can think only one good reason for DLC: To make more money. I have to admit, it it smart business, but still, DLC is the worst sin of the modern game industry. Ever.
    Last edited by Capitano; 05-01-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Why doesnt EA release a "(year) roster change" pack? Then u do t have to buy the game, just upgrade/change the rosters!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast