Arcade Prehacks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Capitano's DayZ Journal

Hello and welcome to my new thread. I recently got into DayZ, an Arma 2 mod. I refer to DayZ as its own game, because it is different than Arma. If you don't know what DayZ is, it's a sandbox survival game. In the game you must survive for as long as you can. I will be playing DayZ and writing a journal after each real-life session. DayZ has been released as a independent game. It is called Dayz Standalone. The original mod is still far superior.

By default, DayZ is a multiplayer experience, but I will be using a mod that allows me to play the game alone. This mod does add other survivors, but they are all controlled by AI.

Some links:
    The official DayZ website: DayZ Mod
    DayZ installation help: (if you are interested) Mod:How to install DayZ - DayZ Wiki
    The official Arma 2 website: http://www.arma2.com/agegate/agegate.html
    DayZ single-player mod (requires original DayZ) http://www.mediafire.com/?kzr49kn5vmuytd8
    Last edited by Capitano; 06-28-2014 at 11:43 AM.

DayZ Journal: June. 28th-The adventure begins

So...It begins.

I spawn in somewhere in the east coast. It seems that I have some basic supplies to start out with. Bandages, a flashlight, a map and some painkillers. I also have a pistol and some ammo.

I head north-west. My plan is to find enough supplies to set up a base in the expansive forests in the DayZ map. This way I can hunt animals for food, and collect wood easily. After a short jogging trip I manage to see some abandoned residential area. The place is littered with zombies, and my puny pistol is not enough to ward off a horde.

When I am about to leave I find two AI controlled survivors who instantly join my party. They seem to follow me around and shoot zombies, but I can't control them by any means. With my new friends, I decided to investigate the houses a bit more. I managed to loot myself some food, a water bottle, soda cans and some more ammunition for my starting pistol. I also salvaged a hunting knife, which will help me to achieve my goals. I saved and exited the game on a hill not far from the town.
    Last edited by Capitano; 06-28-2014 at 03:15 PM.

i like playing this game

In multiplayer I presume?
    Last edited by Capitano; 06-28-2014 at 03:14 PM.

My DayZ screwed up. Again.

Today I had planned to play some more DayZ SP. Well, when I tried to load the world up, Arma 2 would just crash. I tried everything I could think of: I restarted my Arma, turned the mod off, then on again, tried to load the world without the mod, nothing would work.

I tried to restart the world, but that would just make the game crash. I also tried to delete the mission completion files, then start a new one, but that had the same effect.

I also tried to get rid of the SP mod files from my DayZ folder, and exchange them with the originals. That simply made my DayZ unloadable.

I got it to work again normally, but only after deleting all of the DayZ files from the Arma 2 OA folder, installing it again, and then adding the SP mod files.

Now I can load and save worlds without problems, so I will restart the series after some time. Now I am getting to know the game a bit better and trying to figure out what happened.

If you have any idea please reply.
    Last edited by Capitano; 06-29-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: I am obiously a perfectionist. Perfection is hard to achieve. I will keep trying, though.

that happened to me once
    Last edited by awesomego; 06-30-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: i spell h.o.r.r.i.b.l.e

Two things about this thread

Firstly, sorry to keep you waiting! The DayZ Journal series will continue in due time.

Secondly, if you happen to own Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead, and are interested in the DayZ SP mod, here are the instructions to installing it:

1. As said before, you will need Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead. You also need the original DayZ files in your OA folder.
    2. At the beginning of this thread there are some links. Go to the DayZ SP link.
    3. Once you have the file, extract it with WinRar or 7Zip. You will find two folders: Missions and Addons.
    4. Open the OA folder, then go to @DayZ, and then Addons. Drop the SP addon files. It's important you choose Move And Replace.
    5. Go back, then find the Missions folder. Drop the DayZ SP files to that folder.
    6. Now you have DayZ SP.
    Enjoy!

DayZ Journal 2-Day 1-Back In Business!

Sorry about the looooong wait, my Arma 2 has been reluctant to work with me. But now, let us begin...

I spawn in the south coast. I have a M1911 and some ammunition to start out with. I also have a bandage, painkillers and a map. After looking at the map, I find that my current location is near a coastal city: Kamyshovo. It's a rather small town, with not much loot, but I venture there anyway.

On my way, I laid out my goals. My plan is to reach a point, that I can live in the forests of Chernarus, and hunt food and drink without going to a city or town. To reach that I have to find a hunting knife, a canteen, a hatchet, and some wood.

didnt you do that above

What do you mean?

I restarted the world, because my Arma 2 screwed up.
    Last edited by Capitano; 07-08-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast