After you watch a movie, when you are reviewing it in your head as a critic, how do you attribute or distinguish good from great? For example, do you put into account if a movie is adapted from a best-selling book? Or a great classic? If the words by another author, say Shakespeare are so great, how would you judge the rest? Obviously the writing is great, so it's between the actors and director. How do you grade the actors? For example, someone with good looks is going to get a good look at a good script, so if they have a good script, chances are they get more chances and opportunities to shine. Sometimes, just one movie changes everything. Budgets also make a difference, do you put that into consideration?

I also give credit when a director writes his/her own screenplays. I won't judge it differently - if a movie is bad, it's bad even though the director might have worked very hard.

If someone does a certain remake that is sure to get money, chances are they'll have carte blanche to possibly make something great, not necessarily commercial. Some guys have a few chances and did amazing, while some get 50 movies, and if they make one someone likes, people go into the rest of that director's movies expecting greatness and might even look for it.

I guess I wonder why some movies never got attention, why some did, and how people judge movies besides just a general feeling as soon as the movie is complete.

If anyone has questions similar, I'd be interested in answering and reading others' responses.