Arcade Prehacks

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: General Chat Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by ZuckeR View Post
    Stealing... i mean learning from others is always good. I usually don't copy whole projects or what not but smaller snippets that do what i want. Changing those to fit your program as well as optimizing them, depending on what they are.
    LOL.. Yeah i try to understand how the code works before i try using it myself, i was looking at the Flixel Emitter which i guess created particles and when i attempted it myself trying to learn from one of the guys games who made the backyard zombie one i ended up freezing my flash player

I know pretty little about 3D in general, all i have ever done was 2D.
    if you ever try Away3D you'll probably hate it as well lmao

Yeah thats bascially it. Do that with three layers that move at a different rate and you are using parallax scrolling. This makes the effect much more believable and can look awesome.
    I'll see if i can accomplish that it depends on the background image as well huh

Thats usually the way to it yeah. Doing it within the games code as an array is not as flexible as within a sperate file. You have to recompile the game everytime you change the map.
    I Think you have to do that anyways no? cause the text file is still inside of the flash file and project area after its compiled

Well it kinda is backwards as well. If i could concentrate more i would know one language pretty well. But for its so that i know very little about languages but for quite a few because i tried several. Some i do only know the general syntax and am able to understand what a code should do.
    Same here lol , im enjoying some python right now before i go back to AS3 taking a little break from AS3 to further my experience in python but i still have alot to learn on both of them

Quote Originally Posted by W4N73D1 View Post
    i ended up freezing my flash player
    It is pretty common for C/C++ programs to crash but not so easy to do that by mistake in AS3. Maybe you were creating too many objects.

if you ever try Away3D you'll probably hate it as well lmao
    Nah i am not investing time into AS3 anymore, just does not seem to be a good choice for me.

I'll see if i can accomplish that it depends on the background image as well huh
    Yes, the effect can look much better with good looking images of course.

I Think you have to do that anyways no? cause the text file is still inside of the flash file and project area after its compiled
    For flash that might be true, unless you load the text files like you could with a loader, many games did that. It just can be troublesome without a server as flash does not like to load files locally. I always used xampp or something similar for a local webserver to test those things.

Same here lol , im enjoying some python right now before i go back to AS3 taking a little break from AS3 to further my experience in python but i still have alot to learn on both of them
    I will try to stick to C++ for a while and see what i can do with it. It just takes me ages to do anything. My memory game has only about 330 lines of code with a lot of it not even having any game code but stuff like initializing graphics. Seems like i do step by step by step... with each step taking two or three days

It is pretty common for C/C++ programs to crash but not so easy to do that by mistake in AS3. Maybe you were creating too many objects.
    I'm not sure i think i tried to limit it and it still went passed the limit but i dont completely remember
    Nah i am not investing time into AS3 anymore, just does not seem to be a good choice for me.
    I'm gonna be messing with it every now and then but mainly python for now
    Yes, the effect can look much better with good looking images of course.
    I Kept getting stuck trying to pixel a sky lol but i havnt started much on the project yet
    For flash that might be true, unless you load the text files like you could with a loader, many games did that. It just can be troublesome without a server as flash does not like to load files locally. I always used xampp or something similar for a local webserver to test those things.
    I think i was gonna try using local web servers before so i could practice PHP but didnt stick with it long but yeah i never knew about people hosting txt files for there games

I will try to stick to C++ for a while and see what i can do with it. It just takes me ages to do anything. My memory game has only about 330 lines of code with a lot of it not even having any game code but stuff like initializing graphics. Seems like i do step by step by step... with each step taking two or three days
    Got any screenshots of what it looks like so far? im curious lmao & I Think im gonna invest some more time into python for a bit, i might just make that my stronghold language lol

Tech theatre is "fun". For those who don't know me, I'm a sound designer for a small theatre in NoVA/South DC. I put it on Reddit for those interested, link at bottom of post. TL;DR We had some kids break into our storage shed, wreck the interior (messed up our organization), derack all of the weapons. But it gets worse. They tried to use a prop ladder (DO NOT CLIMB ON THOSE, THEY DON'T HOLD WEIGHT) to scale a ~15-ish foot wall to get a basketball of all things off the roof. They broke the ladder. I got to spend my Monday working with Props (Fun fact: Sound is de facto Security) to tally up damages. Woo. At least it's Friday.

Then of course, hell week starts in two weeks. Yay.

(https://www.reddit.com/r/techtheatre...ess_to_others/)
    Last edited by tmanzz122; 10-21-2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: More detail.

With effects that use many objects you should limit it and use an object pool that holds like 100 images and reuse them. So basically an array or vector which fills up to 100 and then it will simply start at 1 again and just moves that Sprite to the position the new one is supposed to be. Slowly fading out the ones on screen would make it less obvious. I've done that in the clicker game for the +1's that show up when clicking on the PC.
    When i did it , i used a while condition i think so it was like while i < 100 and it kept going on and on and on lol
    simply create a very simple version with just circles as clouds and refine the graphics later.
    I'm Problly gonna do that just something simple for now lol
    Pretty much all the Adult Swim games i remember had several files
    I've actually never attempted to hack an adult swim game
    I just changed the graphics to look a bit like i want the end result to be like
    Looks pretty good possibly different button skins though lol kinda outta nowhere with the blue
    Oh and go ahead with python if it suits you.
    I Just hope i can get better at it lol not too familiar with it but just gotta put the time into it

I don't quite understand what tech theatre is supposed to be, never heard of that term before.
    Yeah i dont get the term neither..

When i did it , i used a while condition i think so it was like while i < 100 and it kept going on and on and on lol
    Probably just a small bug in the code so that it runs out of memory because of too many sprites. Stuff like that can usually be fixed rather easy if you can spot the mistake.

I'm Problly gonna do that just something simple for now lol
    Yup, i have to come up with something better for my memory game as well, maybe even add the possibility to switch to other themes.

I've actually never attempted to hack an adult swim game
    I have 14 games in my archive but not all of them are hacked. Some are rather easy to hack actually as many values can be changed within xml files.

Looks pretty good possibly different button skins though lol kinda outta nowhere with the blue
    Yep, like i said the graphics are simply for testing the system and it works. I implemented text today which shows a timer and your tries.

I Just hope i can get better at it lol not too familiar with it but just gotta put the time into it
    Yeah putting time and effort into something helps. I learned a few things from my memory game even if that seems like a very simple task. It is basically done apart from some minor things i could add or polish. I guess i will come back to it every now and then to finish it up. But it feels like it is at a point where i could say its done, at least its playable.

Stuff i could do: Stop the game timer if the game is over. / Start a new game with a dedicated button. / Add a highscore. / Add audio and better graphics.

I guess i will just be too lazy to do that and rather start another project to learn even more. But i will stick to C++ as my language and SDL2 as my main library. It still gonna be hard to create something more dynamic than a memory game which is pretty static.

So, what to do next... ?

Probably just a small bug in the code so that it runs out of memory because of too many sprites. Stuff like that can usually be fixed rather easy if you can spot the mistake.
    yeah i think i actually deleted that project lol

Yup, i have to come up with something better for my memory game as well, maybe even add the possibility to switch to other themes.
    an APH Theme lmao

I have 14 games in my archive but not all of them are hacked. Some are rather easy to hack actually as many values can be changed within xml files.

Ahh yeah i ran into a game like that recently , im wondering can you even make a toggle for that? Also i have a folder with about 200 games in it lol plus my external hardrive has about 300 more

Yep, like i said the graphics are simply for testing the system and it works. I implemented text today which shows a timer and your tries.
    Im like writing these quotes starting from the bottom lol so i just got an idea for you , can be a bit of a challenge.. Try making a game like Dopewars.. Its a pretty simple text based game where you travel to different cities and sell drugs and try to buy them for a better price in other cites.. Different events happen causing the price to drop on some drugs.. i actually wanna make a game like that but honestly i dont even know where to start

Yeah putting time and effort into something helps. I learned a few things from my memory game even if that seems like a very simple task. It is basically done apart from some minor things i could add or polish. I guess i will come back to it every now and then to finish it up. But it feels like it is at a point where i could say its done, at least its playable.

Stuff i could do: Stop the game timer if the game is over. / Start a new game with a dedicated button. / Add a highscore. / Add audio and better graphics.

I guess i will just be too lazy to do that and rather start another project to learn even more. But i will stick to C++ as my language and SDL2 as my main library. It still gonna be hard to create something more dynamic than a memory game which is pretty static.

So, what to do next... ?

Maybe Make a Local Multiplayer Game? Could be interesting, Also maybe you can add a online highscore thing using PHP? ive seen it done with AS3 before

Late again, but tech theatre is basicly all the behind the scenes stuff for acting/theater.

Quote Originally Posted by tmanzz122 View Post
    Late again, but tech theatre is basicly all the behind the scenes stuff for acting/theater.
    Ahh okay.. So like setting up? And handling the lighting and such?

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast